Sciatica nerve pain is caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve, which is a very large nerve originating from the lower lumbar spine and travels through the buttock into the leg. Pressure on the Sciatic nerve comes from compression forces in the spine.
The Psoas is the largest most powerful muscle that sits directly onto the spine, and it has the power to crush the joints and discs resulting in compression onto the spinal nerves which in turn become the Sciatic nerve. This powerful muscle is the prime muscle we assess and treat at Posturepro Physiotherapy Adelaide. By using the Soaz Method, exclusive to Posturepro, we can offer sciatica treatment that will ease your pain and help you to gain more movement.
Other pathologies that can affect the sciatic nerve include:
* piriformis syndrome (tightness of the piriformis muscle in the buttock that compresses the sciatic nerve)
* spinal misalignments, vertebral dysfunction
* herniated disc, disc prolapse
* poor posture – wearing high heels, prolonged sitting, poor mattress
* poor lifting technique and poor bending habits
* spinal compressions due to osteoporosis